This hot-off-the-press story is brought to you by Michael Clouser, Ph.D. Candidate in Entrepreneurship and Innovation Policy, School of Business at the University of Edinburgh. Thanks Mike!
Are you interested in what Governments and Universities might do to both create and help more Start-ups?
A new society is forming at the University of Edinburgh. PhD students Antonio Malfense Fierro and Michael Clouser have launched the society named the “Entrepreneurship, Venture Capital, and Research Policy Society of the University of Edinburgh” (for now at least). The society is for students, researchers, and policy makers who want to learn more about entrepreneurship, knowledge creation and venture (entrepreneurial risk capital in the broader sense) capital supply dynamics. This society was created out of the perceived increased interest amongst students and researchers. While Michael and Antonio are PhD students in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Group in the Business School at the University of Edinburgh, the society will be open to the whole range of students at the University.
This society will focus on policy issues and is meant for students and those outside the university as well. Michael adds “We expect about 75% of our membership to be University of Edinburgh students, and the other 25% will be comprised of a variety of people from different backgrounds and experiences. We’ve noted a broad interest in this area of study that cuts across many disciplines. The idea is to get these people in the same room, and start exploring some of the research that is out there, including models and policies used by governments and universities around the world. Part of the mission of the society is to just bring awareness to this emerging field of study and research, which is becoming especially important today with the emergence of the “knowledge economy” combined with the economic crisis we face today worldwide. Policy creation and innovative modelling of the institutions of society may just present the way out of the coming depression”
The group expects to host a variety of guests throughout the year as well, and eventually host a conference surrounding these issues.
Some of the areas of interest to be covered include the following:
*Entrepreneurship Policy and Economic Growth
*Entrepreneurial Risk Capital Policy
Especially Venture Capital; Angel Capital; and Friends and Family Capital; Grants including Research Grant Funding
*Education Policy and Entrepreneurship
*Intellectual Property Policy at both the University and Government levels
If you are interested in joining this society, please contact Michael Clouser – Michael.Clouser@Gmail.com
The society is open to undergraduates, postgraduates, researchers and policy makers, or others from the community with an interest in learning more about this emerging area of study and research.